My friend Catie's Famous Family Recipe for Tomato Pie
1 pre-made pie crust* (Marie Calendar’s, Whole Foods organic, or gluten free!)
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (sliced thin, and in half)
- 1 large bunch of basil, washed and cut into small pieces, use scissors
- (the small pack in herb section is plenty)
- 1 8 oz pack of Sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large dollop of light mayo
- Salt and pepper
- You will also need aluminum foil
Start by precooking the pie crust per instructions (about 10 minutes) Allow time to cool.
While your crust is cooking, prep all remaining ingredients:
Slice all your tomatoes and cut the basil into pieces. Set aside. Next, mix the cheese and mayo together in a bowl. (you can skip the mayo if that’s not your thing, but the flavor is better!)
Once your crust is done, make a ring of foil around the perimeter of the crust so it won’t overcook for its next round in the oven. Now you’re ready to make your pie! Layer in the tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Top with cheese/mayo mixture. Bake at 375~400 until the cheese is bubbling.
*Most pre-made pie crusts come in a 2-pack. Just add 1 more big tomato and more cheese and you’ll be able to double the fun!